Emulation station crashes, where are the log files?

Home Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project Emulation station crashes, where are the log files?

RetroPie has a new website and forum. Please visit https://retropie.org.uk/ for the new site. The new forum is located at https://retropie.org.uk/forum/. This forum is left here as a read-only archive.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dayfather dayfather 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #97983
    Profile photo of dayfather
    dayfather
    Participant

    For no apparent reason emulation station is completely crashing when I load the rom list for SNES and Sega Mega Drive games. I’m at a loss for why as I haven’t changed any settings and I haven’t added any new SNES roms since I last used it, I have added Sega MD roms but I don’t see how that would affect the SNES game list. Listing Gameboy and Gameboy Advanced roms works fine.

    I would have liked to troubleshoot the issue myself before posting but I can’t find any relevant logs other then es_log.txt which doesn’t contain any relevant errors. Are there any other log files I can check and where are they located?

    I’m running RetroPi alongside OSMC with mcobit’s script on a Pi2.

    #98034
    Profile photo of Floob
    Floob
    Moderator

    I cant remember the filename off the top of my head, but itll be in
    /home/pi/.emulationstation/

    The other log will be in /tmp/

    RetroPie help guides --> https://goo.gl/Yfy8kj
    Please read this before asking for help --> http://goo.gl/eLErnl

    #98079
    Profile photo of dayfather
    dayfather
    Participant

    Ok I’ve made some progress, first of all I noticed that I’d accidentally put all my Mega Drive roms in the Master System rom directory so I moved them. For some reason listing SNES roms seems to works again (or it always worked and I’m just confused) but attempting to list Mega Drive roms now crashes emulation station. I ran emulation station directly from command line instead of launching from OSMC and was then able to see the error it threw up on exit.

    I’m assuming that there’s something wrong with one of the rom file names but looking through them I can’t see anything that stands out.

    I just removed any non-ASCII characters with the following script:

    It found one file name with a non-ASCII character, I can’t check if it worked since I’m at work ssh’s to my Pi (I’m a terrible employee, I know) but I’ll let you know if it solved the problem in case anyone else is experiencing a similar issue.

    #98080
    Profile photo of dayfather
    dayfather
    Participant

    hmmm the code tag seems to be broken.

    Error was:
    emulationstation: /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/tmp/build/emulationstation/es-core/src/resources/Font.cpp:129: static UnicodeChar Font::readUnicodeChar(const string&, std:size_t&): Assertation ‘(c & 0xC0) != 0x80’ failed

    /usr/bin/emulationstation: line 16: 479 Aborted $es_bin “$@”

    Script to remove non-ASCII characters was:
    find /home/osmc/RetroPie/roms/megadrive -type f -print0 | \
    perl -n0e ‘$new = $_; if($new =~ s/[^[:ascii:]]/_/g) {
    print(“Renaming $_ to $new\n”); rename($_, $new);
    }’

    #98127
    Profile photo of dayfather
    dayfather
    Participant

    Removing non-ASCII characters didn’t work, emulationstation still crashes when I try to list megadrive roms. Any ideas what the problem is?

    #98291
    Profile photo of dayfather
    dayfather
    Participant

    I’ve done some further testing and it apparently has nothing to do with the file names. I tried removing all the roms in the directory and created a single “dummy” rom file test.bin, emulationstation still crashes when I try to list the megadrive roms.

    I now have no idea what the problem could be, any help?

    #98292
    Profile photo of Floob
    Floob
    Moderator

    Does it happen if you use a clean RetroPie 3 image from the download page?

    RetroPie help guides --> https://goo.gl/Yfy8kj
    Please read this before asking for help --> http://goo.gl/eLErnl

    #98293
    Profile photo of InsecureSpike
    InsecureSpike
    Participant

    post up your problem gamelist.xml files and someone will take a look over them, if you like, I don’t mind looking over them later

    you could also test deleting ALL your gamelist.xml’s and see that solves the issue (back them up before hand)

    #98296
    Profile photo of dayfather
    dayfather
    Participant

    The megadrive gamelist.xml file was just the default one.

    I tried deleting all gamelist.xml’s but the issue still appears

    #98305
    Profile photo of dayfather
    dayfather
    Participant

    OK some more details it’s seems the issue appears whenever attempting to choose Mega Drive, NES or PC from the main emulationstation menu. I know for a fact that choosing NES worked a few days ago so somethings changed since then.

    #98310
    Profile photo of dayfather
    dayfather
    Participant

    Fixed it!

    There was a problem with one of the file names in my NES roms. I ran my the script to remove all non-ASCII characters, one file was renamed and now everything works fine. Wired that it affected the MegaDrive and PC menues though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar