DosBox launching from emulationstation crashes Pi when exiting

Home Forums RetroPie Project Everything else related to the RetroPie Project DosBox launching from emulationstation crashes Pi when exiting

RetroPie has a new website and forum. Please visit https://retropie.org.uk/ for the new site. The new forum is located at https://retropie.org.uk/forum/. This forum is left here as a read-only archive.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of retrocam retrocam 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of retrocam
    retrocam
    Participant

Hi everyone. I’m slowly adding systems to my RetroPie setup. Such a great project! I have run into a hitch with DosBox (which runs games incredibly well on the Pi2!)

If I use the +Start DOSBOX script included when I installed it, it runs fine, and exits fine. Even if I load a game by manually mounting and running the .exe it works fine and exits fine back to emulationstation.

Now I am trying to create scripts to load the games automatically. If I create a script, for example skyroads.sh:
    /opt/retropie/emulators/dosbox/bin/dosbox -c "mount c /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/Skyroads" -c "c:" -c "skyroads.exe" -c exit
    It appears in emulation station and when you run it it just opens dosbox (seems the start dosbox script takes over.

I then changed es.systems.cfg:

<system>
        <fullname>PC (x86)</fullname>
        <name>pc</name>
        <path>~/RetroPie/roms/pc</path>
        <extension>.sh .bat .BAT .exe .EXE</extension>
        <command>/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/pc/+Start\ DOSBox.sh %ROM%</command> 
        <platform>pc</platform>
        <theme>pc</theme>
     </system>

to:

<system>
        <fullname>PC (x86)</fullname>
        <name>pc</name>
        <path>~/RetroPie/roms/pc</path>
        <extension>.sh .bat .BAT .exe .EXE</extension>
        <command>%ROM%</command>
        <platform>pc</platform>
        <theme>pc</theme>
      </system>

Now when I select the game, it does run the script, and the game runs fine, but when you exit the game it crashes the Pi, it goes to a black screen and I lose all control, can’t SSH in etc. It isn’t the game itself because I have tried with another game, and if I remove the “exit” command from the script, it stays in DosBox fine until I exit and it should go back to emulationstaion. Also the same game runs fine if I run my skyroads.sh outside emulationstation.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 🙂

Profile photo of dudleydes
    dudleydes
    Participant

With your current config, the framebuffer is left in an unusable state when you exit DosBox. To fix, add runcommand.sh to your es.systems.cfg so the <command> tag now reads:

<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 "%ROM%"</command>
    More info at Run DOS games in Retropie

Profile photo of retrocam
    retrocam
    Participant

With your current config, the framebuffer is left in an unusable state when you exit DosBox. To fix, add runcommand.sh to your es.systems.cfg so the <command> tag now reads:

<command>/opt/retropie/supplementary/runcommand/runcommand.sh 0 "%ROM%"</command>
    More info at Run DOS games in Retropie

Thanks so much dudleydes! That did the trick. I read your blog about setting it up but I must have missed that bit.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Forums are currently read only - please visit the new RetroPie forums at https://retropie.org.uk/forums/

Skip to toolbar