Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Has anyone gotten fluent psx audio emulation on their RPI2? I’ve tried messing around with the sample rate and latency to no avail. Video emulation is at ok speeds for me, but the crackling audio kinda ruins the experience. I frequently get ALAS buffer underrun occurred reported. Same with GBA. The other emulators, FBA, Snes, Nes and Genesis, works perfect. I’m using the 2.5.0 image with updated binaries and scripts. Any help would be appreciated!
    Oh, and I’m using the RPI2 over clock mode.

On a side note, Retropie is the most awesome thing ever. To grab a cup of coffee and blast through Castlevania on NES before going to class is a terrific way to start the day.

Roo
    Participant

No crackling here. Some games I’ve tried are Crash Banicoot, GT, NFS and Silent Hill.

You’re not using shaders are you? How are you getting video and audio out of the Pi? What is your memory split at?

dddaaannnhhh
    Participant

Save for dabbling with the audio settings, everything is stock 2.5 beta image with updated scripts / binaries through setup. This is mainly due to me being very new to both linux and RPI. My current config.txt in /boot says gpu_mem_1024=384, does that mean it is split at 384mb for gpu?

I’m using HDMI out and the display reports 720p output.

I’m glad you can run psx games well! Gave me some hope. Silent Hill is one game in particular I look forward to playing through again.

Edit: I do not have sound issues in GBA. Not sure where I got that from, tested a lot of games now and not a single one has crackling sound. It’s just PSX. The two games I’ve tried are Einhander and Castlevania Chronicles

Roo
    Participant

I’m not sure that actually sets the memory split, I think it may just be a recommended value. Try sudo raspi-config and under advanced you can set memory split to 384. Once you do that you’ll see the new entry in /boot/config.txt

I’ll try those games you mentioned tonight and let you know if I see any issues

petrockblog
    Keymaster

gpu_mem_1024 sets the memory split for a pi2

gpu_mem_512 sets it for a B/B+ with 512mb ram

gpu_mem_256 sets it for a 256mb model

we use these instead of gpu_mem= so the default is reasonable for all machines.

Roo
    Participant

@buzz when I launch raspi-config and select memory split, it shows the setting currently at 64. Is this just because raspi-config isn’t smart enough to recognize the variable memory settings you are using in /boot/config.txt?

neighbourhoodnerd
    Participant

Heh, same problem here. Never thought I’d complain about this for the Pi, but my PSX emulation seems to be too fast! The video plays too fast for the audio to keep up!

Now, this may be because I’m using my old Retroarch.cfg. Here is what it currently has in it, aside from joypad stuff:

system_directory = /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/../BIOS
    config_save_on_exit = false
    rewind_enable = false
    rewind_buffer_size = 10
    rewind_granularity = 2
    input_rewind = r
    input_shader_next = m
    input_shader_prev = n
    input_autodetect_enable = true
    joypad_autoconfig_dir = /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/configs/
    video_aspect_ratio = 1.33
    video_gpu_screenshot = true
    video_shader_dir = /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/shader/
    video_fullscreen_x = 640
    video_fullscreen_y = 512
    video_vsync = false
    video_threaded = true
    video_smooth = false

Any suggestions?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.