Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m using a Pi 2, Model B with Retropie 3.5 and noticed CPU and GPU temperature of 41C / 105F. Is this an acceptable temperature range?

herbfargus

Mine is usually higher than that and I’ve had no problems.

Omnija
    Participant

if your pi hits around 80c/85c it can cause damage other wise its fine.

zerojay
    Participant

I overclock my Pi 2 without a heatsink or any fans and the hottest it usually gets is 53 degrees which is well within acceptable ranges.

ghost-note
    Participant

OK, thanks. I was debating whether or not to add heatsinks, but noticed a negative comment about adding heatsinks – “i have tried these and core temps went up. they do nothing but insulate the cpu/gpu!!” – wasn’t sure if anyone else experienced a similar issue.

brainfrz
    Participant

There is no truth whatsoever in that quote your posting.

Unless thermodynamics have changed since i went to college a proper heatsink can’t actually make the core temperatures go up. A mistake he might have made is sticking it with ordinary double sided tape, or worse, double sided foam.

And about insulating the CPU/GPU, that’s what the black packaging with the text on it is for :)

In short: a heatsink is always a good idea, but unless you’re overclocking your RPI1/2 or running it in a hot environment it’s not necessary. They do recommend a heatsink for the RPI3 though.

ghost-note
    Participant

Thanks for the clarification.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.