Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been using rpi/rpi2 boxes for small tasks around the house, and I started tinkering with a home emulation box for my exercise bike.

My hopes were that I could set up Retropie to control solely with a wireless gamepad (I have several Ps3 and Wii controllers around.)

Is this a realistic expectation? Is it possible to RELIABLY use a wireless gamepad to start emulators, access emulator menus, save games/load games, etc, without having to exit emulationstation, run shell scripts, reboot, resync, and all the other things I’m currently struggling with?

Honestly I feel like a cheapish Android hdmi stick might be better for this particular project.

ceuse
    Participant

100% possible. Expecially if you use something like a xbox360/ps3 wireless controller since it has plenty of extra button where you can map stuff like exit emulator savesate/loadstate.

It works perfectly for me with a snes controller for all of my “normal” systems (you might run into problems with some of the ports like minecraft/doom where there are more buttons used)

Of cause you would need a keyboard / ssh to set everything up. but after the configurition it works great without needing to touch a keyboard

keenerb
    Participant

[quote=90127]100% possible. Expecially if you use something like a xbox360/ps3 wireless controller since it has plenty of extra button where you can map stuff like exit emulator savesate/loadstate.

It works perfectly for me with a snes controller for all of my “normal” systems (you might run into problems with some of the ports like minecraft/doom where there are more buttons used)

Of cause you would need a keyboard / ssh to set everything up. but after the configurition it works great without needing to touch a keyboard
    [/quote]

Excellent, thank you very much. I’m a little discouraged currently due to some issues setting it up, but as long as it’s achievable I’ll keep pecking away.

ceuse
    Participant

emulationstation should (if the drivers are included) work out of the box (use the gui controller config option)

and for configuring controllers for (most) of the emulators use this guide (from point 8 forward, point 10 describes how to add a hotkey to enable quiting the emulator/saving/loading)

some systems like gba and n64 (at least i know about those 2) will need a special configuration but most will work just fine with this guide

petrockblog
    Keymaster

[quote=90129]…

and for configuring controllers for (most) of the emulators use this guide (from point 8 forward, point 10 describes how to add a hotkey to enable quiting the emulator/saving/loading)

https://www.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/updated-for-2-3-step-by-step-guide/

…[/quote]

If that guide is useful, it would be great if some one from the community could put the information into the wiki at https://github.com/retropie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki. It might be easier to find there.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.