Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello all,
    I would like to start off saying the concept of this retropie is amazing!
    However, I am having a rough time with the controller setups and I had a few questions. Here is my idea and you can tell me if it is possible. I wanted to make this retropie use retrolink usb NES, SEGA, SNES, and N64 controllers. I was going to do 2 each. Now when I was messing with the controllers, I guess it uses the retroarch file? This file seems to be global? Is there a way to have each of these controllers just for their respective system? Also, is it possible to get a powered USB hub and attach it? (Assuming that the RPIE doesn’t have enough juice to run all the extra ports without it)

gizmo98
    Participant

There is also one retroarch.cfg file for every core. Settings in these files will overwrite the global retroarch.cfg settings. Take a look under /opt/retropie/configs/.

klaxx
    Participant

That will fix that issue but will it allow me to have all 8 controllers usable? I mean if I run the default joyconfig and pull the settings how is that going to work?

gizmo98
    Participant

I only have three controllers. Two SNES replicas and one PS3 controller. The PS3 controller works best but has no retro feeling ;-)

klaxx
    Participant

Ok, so being that you have 3 controllers… how does that work? Lets say I have 3 controllers and my SNES controllers are 2 and 3. How would that be scripted in the /opt/retropie/configs/snes/retroarch.cfg How does it assume SNES controllers 2 and 3 are players 1 and 2? Or am I overthinking this?

Floob

Potentially overthinking. RetroArch will auto detect controllers based on the files in this directory:

/opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/configs

you could amend those files to specify which is which player I guess.
    I only have two (and they are different) so no real issue.

klaxx
    Participant

Well I have 2 NES USB controllers which are different manufactures and have different programming. Then I have 2 Retro Link Sega, 2 Retro Link SNES, and 2 Retro Link N64. For example would it be possible to create those files in that directory for each controller then tell the /opt/retropie/configs/snes/retroarch.cfg to use say SNESUSBPlayer1.cfg and SNESUSBPlayer2.cfg

Also, when I plug a controller in, does it pick it up automatically and store it with some name?

Floob

You could use this process to create the autoconfig files and see how the system names them each time:

I should really try a few controllers and see what the exact behavior is – especially when the controllers are the same.

klaxx
    Participant

Thats good but what do I put in the last retroarch file that overrides the default retroarch file.

nolageek
    Participant

This is what I’ve done, your mileage may vary but this may get you closer to what you’re going for. I got tired of running retroarch-joyconfig over and over…

I have three controllers: a Logitech F310 and F710 and a RetroLink SNES

I ran the joystick config for each of them, with settings for player one and player two. I saved the output into files for save keeping:

cd /opt/retropie/emulators/RetroArch/installdir/bin

Plug in f710
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 0 > /opt/retropie/configs/all/f710-P1.cfg
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 1 > /opt/retropie/configs/all/f710-P2.cfg

Plug in f310
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 0 > /opt/retropie/configs/all/f310-P1.cfg
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 1 > /opt/retropie/configs/all/f310-P2.cfg

Plug in SNES
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 0 > /opt/retropie/configs/all/SNES-P1.cfg
    sudo ./retroarch-joyconfig -j 1 > /opt/retropie/configs/all/SNES-P2.cfg

Now you have 2 files for each of the controllers, as Player 1 and Player 2. The only thing I think you’ll need to add manually is the
    Hotkey and Exit keys for the player 1 files, etc…

input_enable_hotkey_btn = x (usually the select key number)
    input_exit_emulator_btn = x (usually the start key number)

Now append each of the controllers configs to the existing retroarch.cfg file in a game directory.

Let’s use the snes game and my controllers as an example. Let’s use the SNES controller for player one and the F710 controller for player two:

Go to SNES directory
    cd /opt/retropie/configs/snes

backups are good!
    cp retroarch.cfg retroarch.cfg.bak

add controllers to the end of the current retroarch.cfg file:
    cat /opt/retropie/configs/all/SNES-P1.cfg >> retroarch.cfg
    cat /opt/retropie/configs/all/f710-P2.cfg >> retroarch.cfg

Granted, I have NOT done this to individual games like it sounds like you want to do, but this is how I swap out controllers in my default /all/retroarch.cfg when I want to use different controllers.

klaxx
    Participant

Ok I am working on the scripting now and I think I figured out what I need to do. Now the only thing is I can’t use the retro arch auto config for the Sega Retro Link and the N64 Retro Link controllers. So how would I go about doing that?

nolageek
    Participant

Why couldn’t you use the retroarch-joyconfig for those as well?

klaxx
    Participant

Because they done have anything listed for the sega. I didn’t see a C or Z key. Also for the N64 I didnt see a Z or any of the C’s

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.