Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am considering purchasing the ControlBlock as my power switch solution to my Pi 2 console project, but there is a question I have in regard to the GPIO pin configuration.

You see, I installed a set of heatsinks on my pi, one of which has a fan on it powered by a 5v pin and GND pin (2 and 6, to be precise). I installed them to enhance my overclocking capabilities for PS1 and N64 games. I noticed, however, that the ControlBlock utilizes all the voltage and ground pins on the board. I can probably get around mounting the block on top of the Pi (heatsinks won’t allow for that), but is there any way I can continue to power the fan on the heatsink?

I have a GPIO breakout board that seems to have extra voltage and ground pins on it, but do you think that would interfere with power draw? The fan is tiny; it can’t be drawing much power at all, and it hasn’t interfered with overclock performance thus far.

Thanks for any advice you can offer, and kudos on the Retropie project!

petrockblog
    Keymaster

The MOSFET on the ControlBlock is specified for up to 3.7 W. To get the switched 5 V you could use a 2×6 pins connector with long pins. Or you might just solder the fan to directly to the 5 V out of the ControlBlock.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘GPIO Adapter, ControlBlock etc.’ is closed to new topics and replies.