Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anybody know if the cheap generic PS3 wireless controllers will work with RetroPie / Emulation Station ?

I’ve tried versions 2.6 and 3.0Beta4 on both a Raspberry Pi 1 and Pi 2.

I can get a genuine Sony PS3 controller to work. I’ve tried 3 different bluetooth adapters and the genuine Sony controller works with them all, but the cheap generic controller never connects. The generic controller does work with the PS3 console.

Any help would be much appreciated.

rougerasha
    Participant

I know this problem. But I think i have a workaround. I’ve paired the controllers with recalbox os and now they’re working well in retropie .

rougerasha
    Participant

i didnt mentioned that i made all in this instruction before.

This gave me a error by instalation but it worked.

jwh02017
    Participant

I’m very new to retropie, in the instructions from your link, what is the “DO A MAKE”

To make/install
    download attachment, save on your pi
    tar xfvz ps3controller.tar.gz
    go into the ps3controller/sixad folder
    do a make
    sudo service sixad stop
    sudo make install
    sudo service sixad start

rougerasha
    Participant

Just “make”

jwh02017
    Participant

[quote=101336]Just “make”
    Thanks for the detailed explanation haha
    [/quote]

rougerasha
    Participant

Hehe.. Are your controllers now working?

jwh02017
    Participant

[quote=101477]Hehe.. Are your controllers now working?[/quote]
    No, I’ve been trying to make sense out of those instructions. I’m very new to RetroPie so I’m not sure what I should type in and where I should put all the files. I can’t believe it’s this hard to get the cheap controller working whereas the genuine Sony controller works with every bluetooth and USB hub I have. I’ve spent so much time reading and trying to figure this out that I’m thinking it might be better to just buy a genuine Sony controller and toss these cheap ones in the trash.

rougerasha
    Participant

ok sorry…. my english is bad. but i try to explain. I am new too ;)

This step is what i did. i dont know if its required!

I have to controllers (ShanWan). Recalbox OS is another OS for retro gaming but you cant do much self. Retropie is different from Recalbox. So you just have to put the controllers with usb in the rpi (booted Recalbox OS) wait 10 seconds and put out the cable. Then it works in recalbox. But you want it work in retropie so pair all your controllers in recalbox.

then put the extracted zip anywhere on the retropie sd card.
    boot retropie, press F4 and press any key. cd to the folder where you had copied it eg. /home/pi/ps3controller/sixad/

then:

cd ~/pi/ps3controller/sixad/
    make
    sudo service sixad stop
    sudo make install
    sudo service sixad start

If you skipped the first step you can now try to pair the controller. but i dont know if it works.

i hope you can understand this :D

robertybob
    Participant

I’m tempted by a cheap PS3 controller too – one from Game (in the UK) but I’m put off by the face I don’t know if there are drivers to support it.

jwh02017
    Participant

Thanks rougerasha for the help.

I now have one set of cheap controllers working. I didn’t install Recalbox OS. I’ve only tested it with RetroPie 2.6 so far. I’m going to test it with 3.0 Beta 4 to see how it goes. Once I do some more testing, I’ll post some instructions of what I did. For whatever reason, I’m still having trouble with one set of cheap controllers I got from ebay. The “good” controller has normal looking button decals on the right side, but the “bad” controller has modified button decals. See the attached pic. The “bad” controller does work with the PS3 console, but I can’t get it working with RetroPie 2.6 or 3.0.

[attachment file=”ps3 controller – good-bad.jpg”]

jwingo
    Participant

jwh02017, did you figure it out? I would love to know what all you did to get it set up? I am having the same problem.

jwh02017
    Participant

[quote=103153]jwh02017, did you figure it out? I would love to know what all you did to get it set up? I am having the same problem.

[/quote]

Not yet. I’ve been busy lately with work so I haven’t had time to play with it much. The last few times I was playing with it, the controller would sometimes work fine but then it would have issues other times. I haven’t tried it on version 3.0 RC1 yet. I’m starting to think the cheap controllers are more trouble than they are worth. I really hope I don’t have to buy PS3 controllers since a single PS3 controller is more than the Pi itelf.

jwingo
    Participant

I agree. I would really like to use this one. I was able to configure it to work while wired, although the file it says it created does not seem to exist in the folder it states it is in. So that is odd. But I cannot get it to sync with any bluetooth dongle. The file for mine is SHENGHIC2009/0708ZXW-V1Inc.PLAYSTATION(R)3Conteroller.cfg for what its worth.
    I works nicely wired. If only I could figure out the bluetooth part.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Controller Configuration in RetroPie’ is closed to new topics and replies.