Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I am a complete noob when it comes to RetroPie and Raspberry Pi, but I noticed that the Orange Pi One has a 1.2 GHZ processor which seems good for emulating consoles like the N64 or PS1. Is it possible for a RetroPie Image to work on an Orange Pi? If not, can the Raspberry Pi A+ emulate N64 games and PS1 games? All I really want to know is that if an Orange Pi could use Retrope and if a Pi A+ could emulate N64 games or PS1 games.

herbfargus

Stay away from allwinner chips, they have terrible driver support and would have far too many incompatibilities to run retropie.

And no the A+ will not emulate the n64 or ps1 the raspberry pi 2 barely even emulates them. Those are best left to a pc if you want something playable.

labelwhore
    Participant

n64 and ps1 run pretty well on an overclocked Pi 2. There’s some slowdown and other issues, but I think that’s the best we’re gonna get without more cost.

cyandog
    Participant

Could the Raspberry Pi A+ potentially emulate N64 games through overclocking?

labelwhore
    Participant

Nope the B+ is more powerful than the A+ and the B+ struggles with PS1, the games *can* run on a B+, but not well.

You can pretty much forget about n64 games on a B+, performance is terrible.

herbfargus

Not playably.

cyandog
    Participant

ok thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What about the Orange Pi2 ? Would this machine be any better than the original? Anyone tried it. Will it run Retropie at all ?

labelwhore
    Participant

My $.02 on the other microcomputers on the market: Some of them look pretty damn fast by comparison, but the size of the raspberry pi community is it’s advantage. Yes, you could probably get retropie to work on an orange pi, but not without blazing some new trails completely on your own.

Anonymous
    Inactive

They have the raspabian OS as a download on their site that’s all so figured the rpi2 image might work

labelwhore
    Participant

I’d imagine that there are some major differences between the two, but you could always try it to find out.

Probably the better way to go would be to install the orange pi image, then try to install retropie from there. It’s much more likely to work that way since you’d have an OS compiled for the orange pi.

petrockblog
    Keymaster

It won’t work – not without some RetroPie changes.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘New to RetroPie? Start Here!’ is closed to new topics and replies.