Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I bought a USB Atari Joystick replica and it works fantastically on my PC. Trouble is, I want to use it with RetroPie but when I try to map it in EmulationStation so that it will be recognized as my second controller, I obviously don’t have enough buttons to complete the setup (won’t let me map more than one command to the same button). Is there anyway to configure this manually?

trimmtrabb
    Participant
    typh0id
    Participant

There is some very useful information in that thread I will certainly refer to later…The problem right now, however, is that I can’t even get the Atari joystick set up to begin with because it doesn’t have enough buttons to map to all the commands EmulationStation wants me to map.

trimmtrabb
    Participant

If there’s not enough buttons I don’t think there’s a way around that

typh0id
    Participant

That would indeed be disheartening…But surely there must be some way. I’ve no doubt the controller would work fine, once in a game, I just need to create a config file for EmulationStation that has the info for that particular joystick. Where did EmulationStation pull the information from for the other controllers I’ve configured?

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Delete es_input.cfg, reboot and connect a usb keyboard and use that to map the controls you don’t have enough buttons for? Obviously you won’t be able to control ES fully with the joystick but I don’t think there’s a way around it as, like you said you cannot map to the same button

typh0id
    Participant

[quote=6979]Delete es_input.cfg, reboot and connect a usb keyboard and use that to map the controls you don’t have enough buttons for?[/quote]

I tried this but alas…Once I’ve selected the Atari joystick as my second controller and started mapping the buttons, it doesn’t seem to let me use any other device to map the remaining ones…

Sigh…This is frustrating because I refuse to believe there is no way to make this work…It recognizes the controller just fine…I just need a way to tell it the Atari joystick is the second controller without going through the input setup utility…

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Try editing es_input.cfg manually, add another input section for the Atari joystick after the keyboard like this:

(/home/pi/.emulationstation/es_input.cfg)

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <inputList>    
        <inputConfig type="keyboard">
            <input name="a" type="key" id="13" value="1" />
            <input name="b" type="key" id="8" value="1" />
            <input name="down" type="key" id="274" value="1" />
            <input name="left" type="key" id="276" value="1" />
            <input name="menu" type="key" id="109" value="1" />
            <input name="pagedown" type="key" id="281" value="1" />
            <input name="pageup" type="key" id="280" value="1" />
            <input name="right" type="key" id="275" value="1" />
            <input name="select" type="key" id="108" value="1" />
            <input name="up" type="key" id="273" value="1" />
        </inputConfig>
        <inputConfig type="joystick" deviceName="**insert Atari joystick name**">
            <input name="down" type="axis" id="1" value="1" />
            <input name="left" type="axis" id="0" value="1" />
            <input name="right" type="axis" id="0" value="-1" />
            <input name="select" type="button" id="2" value="1" />
            <input name="up" type="axis" id="1" value="-1" />
        </inputConfig> 
    </inputList>

You need to find the device name of the joystick in Linux, use ‘dmesg’
    Look through for ‘Product’ and ‘Manufacturer’ relating to the joystick and edit accordingly e.g.

deviceName=”Retrolink Atari USB joystick”

I’ve guessed the axis id for the Atari joystick, if its not right run jtest:

sudo apt-get install joystick

then

jstest /dev/input/js0

(it should be js0 if not run ‘ls /dev/input/’)

Same goes for the button (select), i’m guessing you only have one to map?

Hope this works :-)

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Did it work?

typh0id
    Participant

I just followed your advice and it completely worked! Thank you x a billion!

trimmtrabb
    Participant

Great, glad you sorted it :-)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.