Viewing 22 posts - 36 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Participant

let me try this now, sorry to sound thick (long day at work), I don’t include this part:

P1B1: (SELECT/FIRE)
    P1B2: (SPACE)
    P1B3: Save Snapshot
    P1B4: Warp Mode
    P1B5: Joypad swap
    P1B6: Load Snapshot
    P1B7: Run/Stop
    P1B8: Menu
    P1B9: Quit

tmar89
    Participant

No problem. To make it easier, use the attached file!

g0nz0uk
    Participant

Hello,

Just tried and some work some don’t.

Does work
    warp
    quit
    quick save
    quick load

Doesn’t work

Neither joysticks work.
    The fire button doesn’t, it seems to be as if the button held down.
    space

run/stop not tested

I was trying to understand what all the numbers mean to help out, but I can’t make sense of them,

For example what would 0 1 0 1 1 16 do and why or 1 1 8 5 Quit emulator?

It’s clever stuff, I just don’t get it.

tmar89
    Participant

I found some errors in the config. Sorry. The Space and Run/Stop were broke. I’m curious about the joystick. Did it work previous?

Also, the swap joystick may not work if you don’t have it properly set up in the Machine settings-Joystick settings. Make sure you have your joystick 1 and joystick 2 linked to your joysticks. You can confirm it if works or not by hitting the button while in the c64 screen, then going back into the menu to see if the settings swap.

Inside the config file explains how the numbers work. Here’s an example for both
    0 1 0 1 1 16
    1 1 8 5 Quit emulator

{Joystick # 0 1} { Axis 0/Button 1/Hat 2/Ball 3} {Index on joypad 1-9} {Action} (Action Commands)
    Joystick Action (1/2/4/8/16 = u/d/l/r/fire)

The first column is the joystick port. The 2nd is the input type, 0=axis, 1=button. The next is the Joystick index. So your buttons are 0-9 and your axis is 0-7. Next is the action command. 0 is none, 1 is joystick action, 2 is keyboard map, 3 is map, 4 is Menu and 5 is a Menu Command.

So attached is the fixed config and a version with your previous joystick settings. Try the regular one first. If you still have a problem, lines 37-40 are the other axis on the joystick. Maybe that’s what yours uses. I just duplicated to the other axes.
    0 0 4 1 0 8
    0 0 5 1 0 4
    0 0 6 1 0 2
    0 0 7 1 0 1

and the second joystick:
    1 0 4 1 1 8
    1 0 5 1 1 4
    1 0 6 1 1 2
    1 0 7 1 1 1

We’re almost there!

g0nz0uk
    Participant

Hello,

Seems most buttons work accept run stop, but not the joysticks, so I manually configured them through the config menu again.

Player 1 is ok but player 2 isn’t, I tried the game Match Day 2 as you can do 2 player, player 1 works but he player 2 joystick doesn’t.

From the config how can you tell what is space, fire, run stop?

Here my file, I haven’t tried the other config yet, just wondered what you thought.

tmar89
    Participant

Not sure how to test Run/Stop. Maybe Reset the emulator and get to a prompt and then hit button 7. I think that should start the game loaded.

So player 1 fully works now? So what you can do if Player 1 fully works is to copy the settings for Joy1 to Joy2 in the cfg file and just change the first column from 0 to 1. That assigns it to the second joystick.

In the config, you just have to know the pattern as I mentioned in the previous post and reference the C64 keyboard map:
    http://sta.c64.org/cbm64kbdlay.html

g0nz0uk
    Participant

I guess I can do with our player 2, seems to look ok, just player a footy game and it seems joystick 1 or 2 would control the same team lol. Huge thanks for your help though.

This is what my file looks like though, can’t see why the second joystick won’t separate itself from joystick 1, but hey.

# DragonRise Inc. Generic USB Joystick
    0 0 0 1 1 8
    0 0 1 1 1 4
    0 0 2 1 1 2
    0 0 3 1 1 1
    0 0 4 0
    0 0 5 0
    0 0 6 0
    0 0 7 0

0 1 0 1 1 16
    0 1 1 2 7 4
    0 1 2 5 Snapshot&Quicksave snapshot.vsf
    0 1 3 5 Speed settings&Warp mode
    0 1 4 5 Machine settings&Joystick settings&Swap joystick ports
    0 1 5 5 Snapshot&Quickload snapshot.vsf
    0 1 6 2 7 7
    0 1 7 4
    0 1 8 5 Quit emulator
    0 1 9 0
    0 1 10 0
    0 1 11 0

0 2 0 0
    0 2 1 0
    0 2 2 0
    0 2 3 0

# DragonRise Inc. Generic USB Joystick
    1 0 0 1 1 8
    1 0 1 1 1 4
    1 0 2 1 1 2
    1 0 3 1 1 1
    1 0 4 0
    1 0 5 0
    1 0 6 0
    1 0 7 0

1 1 0 1 1 16
    1 1 1 2 7 4
    1 1 2 5 Snapshot&Quicksave snapshot.vsf
    1 1 3 5 Speed settings&Warp mode
    1 1 4 5 Machine settings&Joystick settings&Swap joystick ports
    1 1 5 5 Snapshot&Quickload snapshot.vsf
    1 1 6 2 7 7
    1 1 7 4
    1 1 8 5 Quit emulator
    1 1 9 0
    1 1 10 0
    1 1 11 0

1 2 0 0
    1 2 1 0
    1 2 2 0
    1 2 3 1 0 8

tmar89
    Participant

Glad it’s mostly working. I’m curious about player 2. If you swap joysticks and then go into the menu, does the P2 joystick work to navigate? Have you tried to do a manual configuration of Joystick #2 like you did for Joystick #1? I think it may be a Pin ID issue, 1 0 0 1 1 8 may need to be 1 0 0 1 0 8.

Do the P2 buttons work? ie, warp, quit, save, load, swap.

Also, your last line seems to be weird:
    1 2 3 1 0 8
    It should be
    1 2 3 0

g0nz0uk
    Participant

I will look tonight when I get home.

Yeah P2 Joystick works in the config menu and I manually configured it, and the buttons are working like P1. Just the joystick doesn’t, if I swap then P2 joystick works and P1 doesn’t – makes sense I guess :)

tmar89
    Participant

Yes, that does make sense. You’d have to try both joysticks with a 2 player game like Gauntlet.

nbk7
    Participant

so has anybody found a way to assign the space key to the controllers?

tmar89
    Participant

[quote=110856]so has anybody found a way to assign the space key to the controllers?
    [/quote]
    Yes,
    Use this method but change your button number as required:
    [Port] [Button Action] [Button Number] [Action: Keyboard Matrix Map] [Row 7, Col 4 = Space]
    0 1 1 2 7 4

g0nz0uk
    Participant

Hi tmar89,

Hope you are well.

I’ve just built my new 3.6 image on my Pi3, the controls are almost there (need to test in more games), thing is the save and load state buttons work, but I now get the errors:

on savestate – “Vice error – Cannot save snapshot image”
    on loadstate – “Vice error – Cannot read snapshot image” (I guess because there is no save”

Have you got this issue?

Thanks

tmar89
    Participant

[quote=122479]Hi tmar89,

Hope you are well.

I’ve just built my new 3.6 image on my Pi3, the controls are almost there (need to test in more games), thing is the save and load state buttons work, but I now get the errors:

on loadstate – “Vice error – Cannot read snapshot image” (I guess because there is no save”

Have you got this issue?

Thanks

[/quote]
    I have upgraded my RP, but I don’t recall if I can save or not. I will have to check later. However, I am having issues when I start an emulator, I get a warning that the emulator config cannot be saved.

tmar89
    Participant

[quote=122511]

Hi tmar89,

Hope you are well.

Have you got this issue?

Thanks

I have upgraded my RP, but I don’t recall if I can save or not. I will have to check later. However, I am having issues when I start an emulator, I get a warning that the emulator config cannot be saved.

[/quote]
    Ok, so I messed with this for over an hour now. I’ve tried setting the Save State file to multiple locations and it just won’t hold even after saving the vice configuration in the GUI. In the sdl-vicerc file, I tried setting EventSnapshotDir=”/home/pi/.vice/” and forcing it, but it doesn’t work. I suspect there is either a missing setting in here, or it’s just broken.

Each time Vice runs, it defaults to /opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation for a snapshot.vsf file. So instead of fighting it, I copied an already created snapshot file to that folder and made sure it was owned by “pi”. Just use “sudo mv”. Now it works, but it only holds the C64 state of whatever the most recent cartridge or rom used. So if you play Zaxxon and save a state, then go to play Transformers, it will load Zaxxon.

The only other way to do this is manually go into the menu each time you load a rom and have specific state files in /home/pi/. Vice cannot go inside a directory that starts with a “.” so don’t use /home/pi/.vice/.

If you figure anything out, let me know please. Otherwise, this is the best option.

g0nz0uk
    Participant

Thanks I will have a look today. Did it use to work?

tmar89
    Participant

[quote=122556]Thanks I will have a look today. Did it use to work?

[/quote]
    So I want to assume it did because I would have noticed it when I mapped the save and load snapshots to the controller. I’d have to go back to my RP 3.1 image and see what the difference was.

g0nz0uk
    Participant

What a shame we can’t save states this way, who do we raise this issue with do you think?

I tried your manual method, but wasn’t successful, if you get a chance can you explain in a little more detail.

BTW your controls are a dream, I like warp button.

tmar89
    Participant

Explain what you did so far and where you are stuck.. that will help me guide

g0nz0uk
    Participant

Hello,

I got to the Vice main menu > Snapshot > Save snapshot then I’m not sure, there are 3 options:

Save currently attached disk images
    Save currently attached ROM images

Select filename and save snapshot

tmar89
    Participant

The first two are options of what to save. The third, Select filename and save snapshot, is where the file is saved. So what I recommend doing first is selecting that, then changing directories to /home/pi. Enter a filename called snapshot. Then back out of the menu and you should be able to take a quick save snapshot.

Exit the program at this point, and with SSH, go into the file system and move /home/pi/snapshot.vsf to /opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation.

sudo mv /home/pi/snapshot.vsf /opt/retropie/supplementary/emulationstation/

This sets the quicksave file in the default emulator folder which seems to be the case for Vice to start up in. You now should be able to start the emulator and quick save and quick load without error.

g0nz0uk
    Participant

You are the C64 king, that worked.

I guess like you mentioned I can only have one snapshot, so if I play one game and save the snapshot then go to another game it will load the snapshot form the other game?

Viewing 22 posts - 36 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.