Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey guys. I took a long time off from my Raspberry Pi and RetroPie, but I’m back and liking the 3.0 beta 2 so far.

I do have a couple issues that I just can’t figure out. I did look around on here and Reddit for some help on these and have yet to find anything. I’m hoping someone here may have some knowledge into these, so here they are:

1. I get to configuring NES, and I have run into a problem with the remap input area. I’m using a Wii U Pro controller via a Mayflash wireless adapter, which the Pi sees as a wired Xbox 360 controller and it works great. Anyway, I want it so the Pro controller’s Y button is the NES B button and the Pro controller’s B button is the NES A button. So I remap this okay from within the RetroArch menu and it works. I then realized this info doesn’t get saved into the new config with all of the other options I’ve set for this emulator, and I see that at the remap screen there is are options to load and save input remap files, so I choose the ‘Remap file save as’ option and up pops a message on the screen that says ‘Remapping Filename’, and that’s it. No buttons on my controller do anything, no keys on my keyboard do anything. Actually my button combo to exit RetroArch doesn’t even work, and I’m forced to power the Pi off and back on. Can anyone help me in either getting past the ‘Remapping Filename’ message, or assist me in creating the remap file in some other way?
    2. I’ve noticed that there is some graphical distortion going on with SNES9x Next on RetroPie. It wasn’t totally evident to me at first, but once I started playing Mega Man X I noticed it very clearly in the health meter.
      Here is what the health meter looks like on SNES9x Next in Retroarch on my Windows PC and here is what it looks like on the RetroPie. You’ll notice on RetroPie some of the lines of health are clumped together which also causes some blank areas, where as when they are showing correctly as in Windows, they are spaced nearly evenly. Using shaders hides the issue, but I don’t want to blur the graphics to mask the issue, especially when it works fine on Retroarch in Windows, and also every other SNES emulator I’ve run does not have this. I’ve played with virtually every video and display setting and cannot fix this. Additionally I loaded up an SD card with Lakka.tv for the Pi 2 and ran Mega Man X in SNES9x Next on there and it looks fine on there.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edit: it’s worth mentioning that I’m using a new Pi 2 for this.

paulieorf
    Participant

I figured a way around the SNES9x graphical issue. I ended up toying with the custom ratio settings, and what I ended up with is:

170, 0, 512, 448

This obviously makes the picture smaller, however it corrects any stretching issues and displays the SNES game in a perfect 1:1 pixel ratio from what the original console outputs

I’m thinking something is wrong with how RetroArch is setup on the RetroPie which screws up the scaling on SNES9x. Using Lakka.tv and the core provided ratio for SNES9x, I’m able to scale the picture to fit the top and bottom of the screen without screwing up the pixels both horizontally and vertically. With RetroPie if you choose the exact same core provided ratio for SNES9x, it’s not right and you see what is illustrated in the screenshot in my original post.

This issue doesn’t seem to effect other emulators in RetroPie, although I haven’t looked in depth at others but on the surface things like the NES, GBA, and PSX emulators seem fine with scaling.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am having the same issue with scaling in SNES emulation. This also makes vertical scrolling in games look weird. You can easily see that during the opening sequence of FF6.

This must have been caused by some recent change, because I remember being really impressed with the smooth scrolling of games when I first installed retropie a couple of weeks ago.

paulieorf
    Participant

[quote=94121]I am having the same issue with scaling in SNES emulation. This also makes vertical scrolling in games look weird. You can easily see that during the opening sequence of FF6.

This must have been caused by some recent change, because I remember being really impressed with the smooth scrolling of games when I first installed retropie a couple of weeks ago.
    [/quote]

Check out my ‘workaround’ to at least make everything look normal graphically. Hopefully this is something that ends up being fixed in the end.

paulieorf
    Participant

If anyone’s reading this and experiencing the same issue, I’ve find the ultimate fix. The problem is the default resolution that is being used by emulators in beta 3. I did find this is the case with all emulators, not just SNES9x Next.

The fix is to hold the ‘m’ key while launching a ROM for a particular system. This will bring up a screen where you can change some options. You want to change it so the default resolution for each emulator is set to ‘output’. Before this all Retroarch emulators were set to 640×480. Now Everything scales very nicely, the way it should.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Everything else related to the RetroPie Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.