Reply To: Building Raspberry Pi/Retropie from scratch as a newbie

Home Forums RetroPie Project New to RetroPie? Start Here! Building Raspberry Pi/Retropie from scratch as a newbie Reply To: Building Raspberry Pi/Retropie from scratch as a newbie

Profile photo of karhu
karhu
Participant

Step 1 (about a month ago), buy the Raspberry Pi. Seems easy online but there are two options, one includes an 8GB SD card with something called Noobs, so time to read up and work out what this is. Turns out the Pi needs an SD card to store it’s operating system on, without an SD card you can’t get anywhere. So I buy the version with the SD card and Noobs and it arrives in a little box, just a printed circuit board with some chips and connectors. In my mind I’m going to build a full retro arcade machine, but as I’m an ‘agile’ developer these days (on mainframes) I know to set myself a smaller goal and hit that first. So find a HDMI cable and plug that into a monitor at work, plug in the mini USB power and it starts up, lots of unintelligible stuff on the screen and then a type of windows look with some games. First roadblock, I’m going to need a USB mouse to get control of it.

Raspberry Pi with a box and Logitec F310 controller, and Retropie

Skip to toolbar