Reply To: Regular freezes with Raspberry 2&3

Profile photo of ssimplemind
ssimplemind
Participant

He guys, I was about to post the same problem for my Retropie configuration.

My config is:
– Raspberry Pi 3, initially with RetroPie 3.4, now upgraded to 3.6
– VRAM split is 256MB
– Sony, 16GB SDHC Class 10 SD Card
– official rPi 3 power source, 2.5A if I remember correctly
– one or two Playstation 3 controllers, connected by bluetooth
– I´ve had ROMs directly on my SD Card and also on my network storage

My problem is that the raspberry pi freezes in the middle of games. It happened to me in SNES, as well as N64 and PSX games. I specifically tested the SD Card before I bought it and it only has about a month of use, but the problems appeared on the first day.

My rPi freezes less frequently than @nonorius ´s. It can sometimes work for about 2-3 hours of playtime, while other times it works just for 5-10 minutes. I also kept it on for almost two days without any game running and nothing happened.

I´ve tried keeping an eye out for RAM usage (I had 512MB VRAM at first, 256MB now), keeping the top command running in an ssh session, but I had more than 100MB of RAM to spare when it happened.

I´m pretty new to linux and I´m not sure where to look, so I´d be grateful if you could point me to some application logs. Maybe I can find the error there. I tried running emulationstation --debug from the ssh session but I think it doesn´t work that way, because I can´t start any game.

Could it be because of the bluetooth controllers? Did anybody else experience this problem with them?

Skip to toolbar