meneerjansen
Participant

[quote=119721]
You can buy a “MadCatz Mojo” Android TV device for £60 which has a Tegra 4 Graphics chip and a free X-Box 360 style bluetooth joypad ! That’s cheaper than buying a Pi 3 package (with the new case and power supply etc.) and you’d have to use your own joypad. The Pi 3 is nowhere near as powerful. When you hear people trying to run PSP, Dreamcast and N64 on a seriously overclocked Pi and still get choppy framerates it makes you laugh a bit. Someone even asked for a PS2 emulator ! Don’t get me wrong, I still use my Pi (mainly for the Amiga, Atari ST and KODI etc.) because Android runs everything at 60Hz which is crap for PAL computer emulators and watching movies. At the end of the day, the Pi is a great device for the less demanding systems, so far.

Also, I thought EmulationStation was also on Android ? (Don’t quote me on that though).
[/quote]
Didn’t even know such devices existed! But like someone said on Amazon.com: since those gadgets are Android (4.2 Jelly Bean) based one might even consider buying a (second hand) Chromecast Dongle instaed and streaming to TV using your smartphone. Kodi and game console emulators enough on Google Play. But the reduced price of EUR 77 is a steal for such a device plus controller.

Like Qui Gon Jinn said in ‘Star Wars – The Phantom Menace’: “There’s always a bigger fish.”. ;) There’s always something cheaper and better. The Pi has its pros though: it runs not on Android but a real operating system (I hate Android), if you’re a nerd like me and you’ve got a lot of peripherals lying around (controllers, SD cards, adapters, etc.) there’s no beating its price and it’s great fun to tinker w/ Linux (Android is not).