After 6 months of hard work we are pleased to announce the release of RetroPie 3.0.
This retro-gaming project brings together a collection of popular emulators for those computers and consoles that you grew up with from the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, all wrapped up and ready to run on the famous Raspberry Pi. From Atari 2600, to Sega Mega Drive to Sony PlayStation, all your favourite systems are covered. What are you waiting for – get playing!
RetroPie 3.0 Key Features
- Automatic controller configuration for RetroArch from EmulationStation.
- New system for single per system rom folders, default / per rom emulator switching, as well as per rom configurations.
- Lots of configuration tools accessible from Emulation station including setting up WiFi, a configuration editor, file manager, audio settings and more.
- Per system and per game menu to set video output and default emulator setting.
- Basic Joypad control in RetroPie-Setup menus.
- Option to add game roms via USB without network access
- Now offering over 20+ emulators + ports.
- Lots of other improvements / bug fixes from the 2.6 release.
Thanks to PetRockBlock, BuZz, gizmo98, Herb Fargus, Floob and all others who have contributed to the project.
- New GUI for basic WiFi configuration and Config editing
- Added Dragon 32 / TRS-80 (CoCo) emulator xroar
- Added Super Mario War to ports
- Move some emulators out of experimental – lr-bluemsx (Now default for msx), lr-mednafen-ngp, lr-mednafen-wswan, lr-mgba, lr-tgbdual, lr-vba-next
- Added virtualgamepad to experimental which allows gamepad emulation via a mobile
- Restarting setup script no longer needed after updating the setup script.
- Improved support for video splashscreens and a centralised splashscreen repo (https://github.com/RetroPie/retropie-splashscreens)
3.0 RC 1: 18th July 2015
- Input configuration improvements / fixes / optimisations
- Basic joypad control in RetroPie-Setup / emulator prelaunch menus.
- Make libretro Fuse default spectrum emulator (for easier joypad control)
- Added new spectrum emulator ZEsarUX to the experimental section.
- Added launching RetroArch with RGUI from the RetroPie menu in EmulationStation.
- Various other bugfixes – you can follow changes as they happen on the GitHub site – https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/commits/master
3.0 BETA 4: 18th June 2015
- Work around issue with RetroArch GUI not accepting input/freezing.
- Fixed up RetroArch control configuration via our new integrated input configuration.
- Moved RetroArch joypad configurations to /opt/retropie/configs/all/retroarch-joypads
3.0 BETA 3: 10th June 2015
- Integrated controls configuration for EmulationStation and RetroArch – On first start EmulationStation will ask for controls to be configured, and will then also configure RetroArch based on your choices. Note that there will be a delay after selecting OK whilst this is done – this will be improved later to give feedback so it doesn’t look as though EmulationStation has frozen.
- New experimental modules/emulators: limelight (Networked game streamer for Steam), lr-tgbdual (gameboy color emu with link support), DXX-Rebirth port (Decent 1/2), lr-mednafen-wswan (Wonderswan emu), lr-mednafen-ngp (NeoGeo Pocket emu), uae4arm (Amiga emu), lr-fuse (ZX Spectrum emu), lr-caprice32 (Amstrad CPC emu), lr-gw (Game and Watch simulator). All modules prefixed with lr- are libretro cores for use with Retroarch.
- New startup picture with new RetroPie logo.
- Added additional ES theme “Color Pi”
- Dosbox bug fixes / Ability to launch custom shell scripts.
- Wifi configuration under RetroPie menu (wicd-curses).
- PS3 controller setup improvements
- Various other fixes / improvements.
- Disabled root password by default (re-enable by typing sudo passwd root if needed)
3.0 BETA 2: 4th April 2015
- More launch options for Hatari
- Resize framebuffer with video mode change (and allow frame buffer res to be changed independently for terminal/X apps)
- Improvements to minecraft-pi launch script
- Added some experimental modules – Adventure Game Studio engine, yabause (Sega saturn), virtualjaguar (Atari Jaguar), beetle-vb (Virtualboy), mgba (game boy advance)
- Added ProSystem (Atari 7800 emulator)
- Fixes to mupen64plus build
- Various other fixes / Improvements
3.0 BETA 1: 26th March 2015
- Overhaul of emulator selection / launching – single rom folder per platform, with the facility to change default emulator per platform or per rom on launch. Also allows launch of certain emulators with specific configurations, such as render plugin for mupen64plus, and model configuration for fuse.
- RetroArch render resolution is also configurable on launch. Video output is no longer switched by default, but can be adjusted by the user if needed.
- New retropie menu in EmulationStation with easy access to retropie-setup, file manager, audio settings, controller settings,
- raspi-config and so on.
- Emulationstation entries are now sorted (by name) – should mostly match alphabetical order of rom folders.
- Work to ensure user configurations are preserved. More configuration files moved to /opt/retropie/configs/ structure.
- EmulationStation restarts on exit by default unless a key is pressed. Makes it easier for those that want to restart quickly and let it pick up any new roms.
- New platforms.cfg file that contains emulator names / supported file extensions. This can be copied to /opt/retropie/configs/all to override extensions added to emulationstation (A reinstall / re-configuration of the a related emulator is needed after to update the emulation station configuration)
- Addition of AdvanceMAME 1.2 (based on MAME 0.106) which may be useful for rpi2 owners over the 0.94 version. Framebuffer output code adjusted to work better with the Pi.
- rpix86 is included again by default (was missing from the last image).
- Updates to the usbromservice. If you want to sync rom folders it now requires a folder in the root of the usb stick called “retropie”. The roms will be synced from a sub folder called roms. It also can backup/restore your custom emulationstation gameslists / data.
- RetroArch includes additional shaders and overlays
- Various other emulator updates and fixes.